Breast Reduction in
A breast enhancement procedure designed to reduce the size of overly large breasts and achieve a youthful aesthetic. Contact us today at our Birmingham, Alabama office to schedule a consultation.
Many women who struggle with overly large breasts feel that their lives are restricted both physically and emotionally. Cumbersome breasts can be a source of physical discomfort, resulting in back and breast pain in addition to poor posture. They can also draw unwanted attention, which can be distressing. Dr. Robert I. Oliver, Jr., and Dr. Jason M. Jack located in Birmingham, Alabama perform personalized breast reduction surgery with compassionate care to give women the breast aesthetic and body confidence they desire. Breast reduction surgery can restore the breasts to a more proportionate size and improve your quality of life.
Is Breast Reduction Surgery Right for Me?
Disproportionately Large Breasts
Unappealing Breast Appearance
Your Breast Reduction Procedure
Short-Scar Vertical Technique
- An incision is created around the areolas and down the lower breast pole
- Excess glandular tissue, fat, and skin can be removed
- Suitable for small or medium volume reductions
Anchor T-scar Technique (“Wise Pattern”)
- An incision is placed around the areolas, down the lower breast pole, and along the inframammary fold
- The nipple-areolar complex is repositioned
- Ideal for women who need more tissue removed
No Vertical Scar (Horizontal) Technique
- A horizontal incision positioned under the breast and small circular nipple scar are used
- Results in a more rounded upper breast shape than other techniques
- Ideal for patients with longer, narrow breasts to produce a breast lift shape
- Breast reduction surgery is performed at the hospital as an outpatient procedure
- The procedure usually takes two to three hours
- General anesthesia is used during this procedure
- Incisions are created utilizing the designated surgical technique
- Excess tissue is excised, and the remaining breast skin is tightened
- The nipple-areolar complex can be reduced and moved to a higher position on the breasts
- All incisions are stitched with sutures
Before & After
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I expect during my recovery after breast reduction surgery?
After your procedure, bandages will be wrapped around your breasts to help promote healing and minimize postoperative discomfort. You must wear a special surgical bra for several weeks once the bandages are removed to support the breasts as they heal. Residual swelling may persist for a few weeks. Depending on the amount of correction required during surgery, drains may or may not be necessary. Discomfort is expected and can be managed with oral medication, as recommended by your surgeon. Most patients can return to work after two weeks. You will be given aftercare instructions that detail physical limitations and a recovery timeline that reflects your procedure.
Will I have visible scarring after my breast reduction procedure?
Due to the invasive nature of breast reduction surgery, many patients will have scarring following their procedure. However, by using precise surgical technique and practicing diligent aftercare, all breast reduction scars are likely to fade over time.
How long will my results last?
The results of breast reduction surgery are intended to be permanent, but becoming pregnant or gaining weight following your procedure can alter your outcome. It is essential to maintain a communicative relationship with your surgeon so that you can express your concerns both before and after surgery.
Can liposuction be performed as a standalone procedure for breast reduction?
In some cases, liposuction may be performed to remove excess breast tissue. Ideal candidates for this approach to breast reduction must have good skin elasticity and only require minimal correction.