Also known as breast enlargement, a breast augmentation procedure involves placing an implant in each breast to increase breast volume, improve breast shape and firmness, and provide a degree of lifting where necessary. Breast augmentation specialists Dr. Robert I. Oliver, Jr. and Dr. Jason M. Jack can help you achieve your aesthetic goals of having beautiful, natural-looking breasts. Along with our friendly staff, our plastic surgeons will offer you attentive and personalized care from your initial consultation to your final postoperative visit and beyond.
Is Breast Augmentation Right for Me?
Naturally Small Breasts
Volume Depletion After Pregnancy or Weight Loss
Asymmetry or Shape Concerns
Your Breast Augmentation Procedure
- Filled with a highly cohesive silicone gel
- Results look and feel more natural
- Requires slightly larger incisions to accommodate the implant
- Most popular choice worldwide for breast augmentation
- Filled with a saline (salt water) solution
- More affordable than silicone implants
- Less natural result in thinner patient
- Can be filled after insertion for less scarring
Under the Breast Tissue (Subglandular)
- The implant is inserted underneath the glandular tissue and above the chest wall muscle
- Provides a more lifted appearance
- Requires a shorter recovery
Behind the Chest Wall Muscle (Subpectoral)
- The implant is inserted underneath both the glandular tissue and the chest wall muscle
- May provide a more natural appearance and better long-term support
- Requires a longer recovery
- The incision is placed in the lower portion of the breast along the crease
- Most frequently used technique
- Accommodates all implant styles
- The incision is placed in the armpit
- Implant options are limited
- The breasts will have no scarring
- The incision encircles the areola (the darker skin surrounding the nipple)
- Accommodates many implant styles
- Performed as an outpatient procedure at our state-of-the-art surgical facility
- Procedure typically lasts 45 to 60 minutes
- The patient is placed under general anesthesia
- Incisions are placed in the desired locations
- Pockets are created in each breast to make room for the implants
- Implants are inserted into the breast pockets
- If saline implants are used, one or both implants may be filled after insertion for ideal symmetry and balance
- The incisions are sealed with resorbable sutures to complete the procedure
Before & After
What should I expect during my recovery after breast augmentation?
Bandages are applied immediately after surgery to aid the healing process and minimize breast movement during recovery. Once the bandages are removed, a specialized surgical bra should be worn for several weeks. Drains are usually not needed, and no suture removal is required. Any discomfort can be treated effectively with oral medication. While postoperative complications are rare, patients can minimize potential problems by carefully following the directions given by their physician. Typically, patients are well enough to return to work after about one week. Some swelling may persist for up to six weeks. Postoperative instructions call for no strenuous activity or heavy lifting for four to six weeks.
Can I combine breast augmentation with other procedures?
Breast augmentation patients can undergo additional surgeries to enhance their body contours more dramatically. Some of the more popular procedures combined with breast augmentation include breast lift surgery, tummy tuck surgery, and liposuction. Breast augmentation is frequently performed as a part of the Mommy Makeover, which combines multiple procedures to reshape the body after pregnancy and childbirth.
What type of implants should I get?
In addition to choosing between silicone and saline implants, there is a wide variety of implant styles from which to choose. During your personal consultation, your surgeon will explain the differences in material, size, shape, texture, and other implant characteristics. Your surgeon will recommend which implants will be most likely to accommodate your unique needs. The collaborative discussion will ensure that you make the best choice so that you can look forward to having the breasts you’ve always wanted.
How much larger will my breasts become?
The natural size and shape of your breasts as well as the type and size of implants you have selected will determine how large your breasts will be after surgery. Breast augmentation can increase a woman’s breast size by one or more bra cup sizes.
How long will my results last?
While your implants may need to be replaced at some point, your results from breast augmentation surgery will be long lasting. Women who undergo this procedure can enjoy their enhancement for decades.