Many individuals struggle with stubborn body fat that does not seem to respond to a healthy diet or strict exercise regimen. Excess fat obscures the body’s attractive contours, which can have a drastic effect on your self-confidence. Liposuction is a surgical procedure that involves permanently removing bothersome fat cells to sculpt a more pleasing and fit-looking silhouette. Dr. Robert I. Oliver, Jr., and Dr. Jason M. Jack of Plastic Surgery Specialists perform liposuction to help their patients achieve the slim body contours they desire.
Is Liposuction Right for Me?
Stubborn Fat Deposits
Lack of Definition
Unsatisfying Body Shape
Your Liposuction Procedure
- Involves injecting a sterile solution into the target area to constrict the blood vessels
- The solution helps minimize blood loss and postoperative swelling
- Can be completed safely using local anesthesia
Power-Assisted Liposuction (PAL)
- Combines suction technology with a device that helps the cannula move through fat
- Ideal for treating areas that have denser fat
- Liposuction can be performed quickly and efficiently using this technique
- This outpatient procedure is performed at our modern surgical facility
- Procedure can last anywhere from 30 minutes to a couple of hours
- General or local anesthesia may be administered
- Tiny incisions are created near the target area
- A thin tube or cannula is inserted through the incisions
- The cannula suctions unwanted fat from the treatment site
- The incisions are closed by applying a compression garment
Before & After
Frequently Asked Questions
What should I expect during my recovery after liposuction?
The length of your recovery after liposuction depends on how extensive your procedure is and the number of areas being treated. Swelling and bruising should begin to subside two days after surgery, but residual side effects may persist for up to four months. You can minimize the risk of postoperative complications by carefully following all aftercare instructions that will be provided to you before your scheduled treatment. Heavy lifting and strenuous activity must be avoided for at least 10 days, at which point most patients feel ready to resume their usual routine.
Can I combine liposuction with other procedures?
Patients who seek more extensive body enhancement may combine their liposuction procedure with other procedures. Tummy tuck surgery is commonly performed in conjunction with liposuction to improve the abdominal area by removing excess tissue and repairing damaged rectus muscles. The Mommy Makeover is a comprehensive procedure package that may include liposuction, breast augmentation, breast lift, and tummy tuck surgery.
Why do I need to wear a compression garment after liposuction?
Compression garments help minimize bleeding, control swelling, and help with healing after surgery. The type of garment you will need depends on the areas being treated during your unique procedure.
How long will my results last?
The results of your liposuction treatment are considered permanent as long as you maintain a healthy lifestyle. Becoming pregnant, experiencing significant weight fluctuations, and the natural aging process can affect the results of your procedure. However, consuming a well-balanced diet and daily exercise can help preserve your results and prevent the accumulation of new fat cells.