4 Minute Read:
When you’re looking for a plastic surgeon to perform your rhinoplasty, you want to choose the one with the best training, credentials, experience, and results.
But what questions should you ask a surgeon during a rhinoplasty consultation?
At Plastic Surgery Specialists, we understand that finding the right plastic surgeon is of vital importance, but it can also be overwhelming. To help you on this process, we’ve compiled a list of questions to ask potential surgeons before undergoing rhinoplasty.
1. Are You a Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon?
This is the most important question you can ask your potential surgeon.
Plastic surgeons are not required to be board-certified, which means any doctor with a medical license can technically perform cosmetic nose surgery. Becoming board certified in plastic surgery requires extensive training, and it means that your surgeon has committed to mastering the art of plastic surgery.
More than that, make sure your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, the only plastic surgery board recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties. This board has been approving medical specialty boards for nearly 90 years.
2. What Is Your Experience Performing Rhinoplasty?
When searching for a plastic surgeon to perform your rhinoplasty, experience is also essential.
Ask your surgeon how many years of experience they have in plastic surgery and their experience with rhinoplasty specifically. Many surgeons have albums of before and after pictures, so ask to see examples of their work.
Check their website and other internet resources for reviews from patients as well.
3. Is Your Surgical Facility Accredited by a Reputable Agency?
For a surgical facility to be accredited, it must meet rigorous patient safety, sanitation, and equipment standards. Accreditation also takes into account the qualifications of the surgeon and associated personnel, such as the anesthesiologist and nursing staff.
4. Am I a Good Candidate for a Rhinoplasty?
The best rhinoplasty candidates meet the following criteria:
- You want a rhinoplasty because you are dissatisfied with how your nose looks
- You’re over the age of 16, which is when the nose and other facial tissue stops growing
- You have functional issues with your nose, such as a deviated septum or obstruction
- You’re in good health overall — you don’t smoke or have diabetes, heart issues, or other conditions that may cause rhinoplasty complications
- You have realistic expectations about the results of a rhinoplasty
5. What Surgical Technique Will Offer Me the Best Results?
There are two types of rhinoplasty techniques: open rhinoplasty and closed rhinoplasty.
Closed rhinoplasty only uses incisions inside your nose and is used most often to make minor corrections. Open rhinoplasty involves an exterior incision and is typically used for more significant correction or extensive nose reshaping.
Your surgeon will determine which method to use according to your specific concerns and desired results.
6. What Can I Expect During Rhinoplasty Recovery?
Most plastic surgeons have specific post-operative instructions to maximize your rhinoplasty results and minimize any unpleasant side effects.
Some of the items you may want to address include (but are not limited to):
- How do I care for the surgical site?
- When can I remove the packing from my nose?
- What types of things should I avoid during my rhinoplasty recovery?
- When is my first follow-up appointment?
- When can I return to my regular activities?
Ask as many questions as you like during your consultation, as you want to be sure that you’re comfortable with your surgeon and know what to expect from the procedure and your recovery.
7. How Long Will It Take Until I See My Final Rhinoplasty Results?
Initial swelling goes down significantly in the weeks after your procedure; however, it may take up to a year to see the full results of your rhinoplasty. The profile of your nose will change incrementally over this time.
You may notice the swelling increase and decrease periodically, especially in the morning. This will subside over time.
8. Are There Risks Associated With Rhinoplasty Surgery?
As with any surgery, rhinoplasty comes with the potential for complications. Some of the expected side effects after your rhinoplasty surgery include pain, bruising, swelling, and congestion. You also may experience mild numbness.
Risks of rhinoplasty may affect your results, and include:
- Difficulty breathing through your nose
- Changes in your sense of smell or the sound of your voice
- Nose asymmetry
- Persistent pain and swelling
- Discoloration due to ruptured blood vessels
- Perforated septum
These complications are rare, but worth asking your surgeon about.
Learn More About Rhinoplasty in Birmingham
If you are looking for surgeons who are highly skilled and experienced in rhinoplasty, look no further than Dr. Oliver and Dr. Jack at Plastic Surgery Specialists. When you come in for a consultation, they will take the time to go over the procedure and answer any questions you might have. Their goal is to provide you with the results you want while ensuring your comfort and confidence in their abilities.