3 Minute Read:
If you have lost a significant amount of weight after undergoing bariatric surgery (or through natural means), congratulations! You are well on your way to a total transformation.
Most likely, your new contours are hiding beneath loose or excess skin.
So, to complete the process, and address the excess skin left behind after this kind of weight loss, there are a number of surgical procedures that can help.
Your Cosmetic Post-Bariatric Surgery Options
In addition to loose skin and stubborn pockets of residual fat around the midsection, both men and women can be left with saggy arms, buttocks, breasts, and skin all over the body.
The following post-bariatric procedures can be combined to recontour your body and tighten loose skin:
- Tummy tuck surgery – This is the most common procedure sought by individuals who have lost a large amount of weight. This surgery removes excess skin while recontouring the body to provide a flatter tummy and a more defined waistline.
- A body lift – This procedure takes the tummy tuck a few steps further to address both the midsection and lower body (flanks, buttocks, and thighs) when indicated.
- An arm lift – This surgery, also called brachioplasty, is beneficial for patients with loose upper arm skin after weight loss.
- Liposuction procedures – Liposuction can be used all over the body to remove stubborn pockets of subcutaneous fat that contribute to lumpy, uneven skin.
- Breast implants – After weight loss or pregnancy, stretched-out tissue and skin can leave breasts droopy and deflated. Implants can restore this lost fullness. Sometimes breast augmentation can correct slightly sagging breasts; other times, a breast lift is also needed.
- A breast lift – This procedure can be used alone to reposition droopy breasts or with implants (or breast reduction) for more dramatic results.
- Upper body lift – This combination of surgeries may include an upper arm lift, a breast lift, and a back lift.
- Gynecomastia surgery – This procedure can sculpt a more masculine chest for men left with sagging breast tissue after weight loss.
Making the Most of Your Plastic Surgery Consultation
Now that you know more about your cosmetic post-bariatric weight loss options, you’ll be able to ask pertinent questions during your consultation.
Be sure to choose a highly reputable, board-certified plastic surgeon with experience in various post-bariatric cosmetic procedures. Your provider should listen carefully to your concerns and explain the surgeries they recommend to meet your unique needs. This would include the type of anesthesia used, the surgical process, and what to expect while recovering.
Cosmetic Post-Bariatric Surgery in Birmingham, AL
Dr. Jason Jack and Dr. Robert Oliver Jr. are both highly skilled and experienced board-certified plastic surgeons in Birmingham, Alabama. You can count on them to have the expertise you need when undergoing body recontouring after weight loss.
If you’re ready to complete your physical transformation, call (205) 298-8660 today to schedule your consultation, or scroll down to contact us online.