4 Minute Read:
When excess fat and glandular tissue develop on the chest of older boys and men, giving them the appearance of having breasts, it’s called gynecomastia. This condition often causes emotional stress or embarrassment and can even be physically painful.
Gynecomastia correction surgery is performed to remove excess tissue, fat, and skin from the chest of men experiencing varying degrees of unwanted breast tissue and related distress.
There are some opportune times to consider this gynecomastia surgery, but first, let’s look at some of the benefits you can expect from this procedure.
Why Consider Gynecomastia Correction Surgery?
Gynecomastia surgery ranks high on patient satisfaction, meaning that most men who undergo the procedure are happy they did. Some of the reasons these patients are so pleased include the following:
- More freedom of movement – Excess fat and tissue in the chest can interfere with athletic performance.
- Confidence at the gym, pool, or beach – A feminine-appearing chest can elicit negative remarks and make you self-conscious in many situations.
- Style – Extra breast tissue in men can interfere with the look you want when wearing your favorite dress shirts.
- Masculine chest – No man wants “man boobs.”
By choosing to address this bothersome physical feature with gynecomastia correction surgery, you can say goodbye to the anxiety it provokes and enjoy these benefits:
- Elimination of “man boobs”
- A more masculine chest
- Increased self-esteem
Finding the Right Time to Undergo Surgery for Gynecomastia
While the perfect time for gynecomastia correction surgery will be different for each man, some benchmarks in life can serve as a good opportunity to address the problem.
- The teenage years – Boys with gynecomastia often endure unrelenting teasing, and many ask about their treatment options. While diet and exercise can help, it rarely reduces excess breast tissue enough to be a viable solution. Teens as young as 16 have had this surgery with excellent results, but waiting until 18 can better ensure this tissue doesn’t grow back (and doesn’t go away on its own).
- As a graduation gift – Two of the best times to correct gynecomastia is after graduating from high school or college. Parents or relatives of young men with this condition can offer this surgery as a graduation present to help them start their adult life and careers with increased confidence.
- On a break from school – Spring break is known for being filled with partying and maybe even some less-than-wise decision-making. Male college students with gynecomastia can make an informed decision and use this time to undergo surgery and complete the recovery period before classes resume.
- Before joining the military – Young men with gynecomastia who plan to enlist in the military may want to consider having corrective surgery before training begins to avoid embarrassment. Most young men build muscle and become physically fit during this time, and they can achieve both a fit and masculine body by addressing their excess breast tissue.
- Recently divorced – Men with gynecomastia who have gone through a divorce or are looking to re-enter the dating scene can often use a boost of self-esteem. While they may have become comfortable baring their chest in front of their previous spouse, they may experience extreme self-consciousness when they start dating again.
- Retirement – It’s never too late to improve your appearance, and many new retirees are turning to plastic surgery as they begin this chapter of their lives. Retired men often spend more time vacationing and visiting the pool or beach. If they have gynecomastia, now can be a great time to improve their chest contours.
How Young Is Too Young for Gynecomastia Surgery?
There have been cases in which surgery was performed on boys as young as 13 with severe gynecomastia, but most surgeons advise waiting until at least 16. Boys going through puberty often develop some level of gynecomastia that rectifies itself as they continue developing. Waiting these extra few years can help determine whether or not surgery is necessary.
If you are 18 or older and gynecomastia is causing you distress, it’s better to explore your options sooner rather than later to avoid experiencing potentially embarrassing situations.
Interested in Gynecomastia Surgery in Birmingham, AL?
At Plastic Surgery Specialists, our highly skilled and experienced, board-certified plastic surgeons provide corrective surgery for gynecomastia in Birmingham, Alabama.